Friday, June 22, 2012

Oh Dean,

Dec.24.2010


Spending one night on a ferry to Azerbaijan from Aktau, Kazakhstan, I arrived the capital city Baku. My schedule in this country was super tight, but some origami appointments were waiting for me. Since one of my appointments was at the international journalism at Western University, I was so exited to communicate about international affairs with students there. However, I couldn't even make even an origami with them because the Dean of the department kicked me out.


"We've never done such a thing" this is what she kept saying. "I will teach them my own culture, and we will discuss about journalism. This is the international journalism, isn't it!!" I explained the purpose of this attempt, result we would be able to get, and what's in it for them, but what she replied to my argument was only some Russian phrases and NO. Yet giving up what I decided to do shouldn't happen in my life. I re-visited her office and showed a proposal paper of my travel in Russian writing. How she reacted to this approach was that she called two guard men, and I was literally thrown away from the school.


So, I waited for the class's ending, and asked some students who had a time to make origami and some discussions with me. It's really sad that adults take an opportunity for kids because of adults' comfortableness. Kids should be given whatever opportunity that might stimulate their future. What the students said later was that the lady is always like that. I still regret that I didn't go back again and punch her so we didn't have to miss the great opportunity..."It's cool!! Let's do that!!" This answer was what I was waiting for from her. In the next and my last destination, Istanbul, so many friends and colleagues are waiting for my arrival and origamis to be finished.


"Oh, he was such a super student? I didn't know that..." I will make the dean say like this!!


Go for it!! Chuji,

No comments:

Post a Comment