Monday, December 10, 2012

Dream the dream

Meeting people is the most efficient way for me to get close to my ideal future. Although academic/professional careers are very powerful for us to crime up our society, I still believe that networking is the biggest part. Meeting people is not only a functional way, but also chemistry is always between us in both good way and the other. So I think people you meet to get initiated don't have to be in the same field with yours as long as they are outstanding.


The last Friday, I invited a guy to lunch in Orange County, CA. He is the eldest American Mt.Everest climber, Bill Burke. I have visited him twice when I was UC Irvine student, and we finally had a chance to catch up after three years and bit. During the three years, he has tried to reach the summit again every year, and I accomplished the Silk Road journey about which I go different advises from him and I also graduate from my business school.


He started high altitude mountaineering after reaching age 60 and have now climbed the highest mountain on every continent. He summited Mt. Everest on May 23, 2009, becoming the oldest American to reach the summit and return alive. He was 67 at the time. He is the only person to climb the highest mountain on every continent, including the Carstensz Pyramid in West Papua, New Guinea, after reaching age 60.


Speaking with him not only motivates me, but also he initiates me different things. 'I started climbing at 60 years old. There are millions of reason if I want to give it up. Just don't give up' 'Mental strength is more important than physical strength so you can make a right decision at every second.' I also told him how I survived my Silk Road trip, but most of the time my parts was about what I want to do in the future. Although I haven't told many people about the plan yet, I told him a little details of it at the table.


'Dream the dream Chuji. You did what you would accomplish in the Silk Road project. You can do it' This is the words he emailed me today. Dream the dream... I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment